Course Code (Undergraduate): 010959
Course Code (Postgraduate): 2040220
48 Contact Hours
7.5 ECTS points Credit Points
This unit focuses on a holistic approach to project management. It provides students with a high level of understanding of the different processes involved in project management in a complex global context. Students will be provided with both theoretical knowledge and the practical skills that will enable them to effectively manage engineering projects in a sustainable and ethical manner.
Students will develop skills in the use of project tools which allow for more effective tracking of project progress. The content deals with concepts and definitions, organisation and staffing the project office and team, planning, scheduling, cost control methods, risk management as well as contracts and procurement. Through a combination of formal learning, individual and group projects, participants will develop a full understanding of the leadership and technical capabilities needed for effective project management in multinational organisations.
Schedule and Topics
2. Project teams, estimation, project setup and project selection
3. Project management in a complex global context
4. Engineering projects and sustainable practice
5. Ethical behaviour within project management
6. Real world engineering problems: Case Studies
7. Project Monitoring and Control
8. Importance of project governance and leadership in the successful completion of projects
9. Project procurement and project close down
Individual report (30%);
Group project (group)(35%) + Presentation (group)(15%).
The course is designed for students from all academic disciplines to help them gain insight into project management. The course is open to undergraduate/postgraduate students.
Course materials (including lecture notes, supplementary readings and solutions to assignment questions) are handed out during the class.